Working With Smart Objects
I’m not going to go into all kinds of details about Smart Objects this is just a quick tip I hope some of you will find useful. Recently I was working on some files for a client. It was a sizable project with lots of little moving pieces. Somewhere along the way I lost a couple of Illustrator files that went with the project. Because of a tight deadline I didn’t have time to track down the missing .ai files. As luck would have it I did however have them placed in a Photoshop file as Smart Objects.
Here’s the really great thing about Smart Objects, by right clicking the layer in Photoshop you can edit and save them in Illustrator.
Here’s how it works:
• Open your Photoshop document.
• Find the layer with the Smart Object you want to convert.
• Right click the layer.
• Select Edit Contents from the sub-menu.
• The Smart Object will be opened in illustrator.
• Make corrections to the vector art if you have any
• Save the illustrator file someplace you won’t lose it next time
• High five yourself for saving tons of time and being super tech savvy.
*Special thanks to my buddy George Coghill for his excellent advice.
To Learn more about Photoshop, Illustrator or InDesign come see me at: